28 May 2011

Marvel Series 2: X-Men First Class


The Marvel series is finally here! Just like the Thor poster, this 24x18 inch print will be limited to a run of only 10 copies, signed and numbered. The poster is based on the themes of the upcoming X-Men reboot (released June 3rd in the UK).


The design is inspired by the world of 60's advertising posters through the use of block colours, angled lines and geometric shapes. It hints at some of the  movies themes including friendship and betrayal, set against the backdrop of the Cuban Missile Crisis. The shadows cast by the two friends depicts an 'X' as a warning towards what the future holds for the world of mutants. 

The background image is a modern take on a top secret document that showed the circular range capability of the Cuban missiles. The circular shapes are also iconic of the magnetic fields of Magneto and the telepathy of Professor X.

The poster has been designed as part of a set, so those who own a copy of the Thor poster will find that the white boarders are identical, the credits line up and the base of the movie titles will also align. This really helps when displaying the posters as a set.

EDIT: Amazingly, the poster has already sold out in a record time of 2.5 hours! Thanks to all who have bought a print. For those who didnt quite make it, be sure to check out the Back to the Future 2 print here and the Back to the Future 3 print here. I still have a couple of prints of each left.

18 comments:

  1. Another great poster Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tyler, glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. X-Men: First Class isn't a Marvel Studios production. It's all Fox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. IMDB says different
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1270798/companycredits

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tha poster is crap. Looks like it was made by a 5 year old who hasn't learned how to draw yet. How do you have the balls to try and sell crap like that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments guys. The Marvel issue is confusing. Some have informed me that it isnt a Marvel movie, yet the official poster includes the marvel logo and IMDB does list Marvel studios as one of the production houses. As the logo is on the official poster Im happy to leave a reference to it on my version.

    As for the most recent comment, Im sorry my work isnt to your taste, I appreciate you visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jim, thats very kind. Im very pleased you like my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Superb design, gutted I missed out... maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Paul, sorry you missed out. If you "like" the facebook page (located on the right hand panel of this blog) then that will keep you up to date with all future releases!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is just AWESOME. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How do you get permission from Marvel to sell posters of a licensed property? I'm just wondering, cause I'd be interested in doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tommy, I dont have official permission from marvel for my work. I always make sure all of my work in original art, created solely by myself. I never use images from movies and I steer clear of using logos or branding from the films or production companies. This isnt a professional venture, just a fun hobby and the price of the prints only covers the printing cost, plus postage, packing and a bit of admin. Hope that answers your question!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would just like to say your work is fantastic and very impressive, your marvel work and the bttf trilogy.

    Please keep it up as it would be a shame for the world to miss out on your works and talent as it surpases much that is out there.

    I missed out on the poster unfortunately, however it is my iPhone background! :) hope you don't mind!

    Out of interest, what is your next publication to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks James, those are kind words. Im not sure about my next publication to the blog, I dont keep it up to date half as much as Id like to! There will however definitely be a post sometime soon as Captain America hits the cinemas in July!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dave, you are brilliant. Please tell me that you have extra Thor and Xmen prints. I'm desperately trying to add them to my print collection.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi turrel72, thanks for your nice comments! Sadly I am sold out of all my Thor, XMen and Captain America prints. However, I do have a couple of Back to the Future 2 and Back to the Future 3 prints still available, you can find them on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The film was very good, they used opening scene from X-Men to try to link it in the film franchise. They also used a lot of key phases from the other films. The troubling part is they trashed the story timeline of the other X-men movies like in X-Men Wolverine you saw Prof. X walking, older, & bald getting the captive mutants on the helicopter then Emma Frost is only a teenager in Wolverine. Also in X-men, Prof. X told Wolverine Magneto and him built cerebro. In this movie they credit, Beast! Finally, you can leave when the credits start because they broke Marvel tradition, no extra side at the end. One humorous scene for the veterans of the other X-men movies, is when Magneto & Prof. X go to recruit Logan, there reactions to him are based on Magneto able to pickup on the metal on his bones & Prof. X able to read his mind.

    ReplyDelete